Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Dallas Train Museum

About 2 weeks ago we took a field trip to the Dallas Steam Train Museum. The kids had a blast. I hope you enjoy the pictures. Here Charity is showing us the mail slot that was used that was right on the train. You could actually mail a letter fromthe train. Here our tour guide shows us the hook that was used to catch the mail bags at 100 mph. Wow! As you can tell the children were fascinated. LOL Then, there were some of the biggest steam engines to ever be used. It was really neat.
We also have the oldest standing and used train station here in Dallas. It now functions as the entrance and gift shop.
It was a rather hot day, but the kids didn't seem to mind. We were there with our homeschool group, LDS Share. So, they had friends to talk to and others who enjoyed being there as well. The heat was not really a problem until we went inside the trains. We were able to tour a passenger car that still had the partition from the days prior top the Civil Rights Movement. It made for a wonderful history discussion on the way home.
There were plenty of photo opportunities as well. We found train wheels that were taller than all of us, and the front of the train called a cattle pusher. Yes, it was used for just what it was called. LOL
It really was a fun day that I think we all enjoyed. I would recommend it to anyone who has an interest in trains, however, I suggest fall or winter visits. :)

2 comments:

The Waters Family said...

How fun! I want to go! What a great field trip. Hands on learning! glad y'all had such a fun time.

The Waters Family said...

just noticed the Bison FOOTBALL standings on your side blog. THAT IS SO COOL!